1. We welcome proposals for all genres and formats of artistic projects and creative submissions, provided that they are suitable for in-person presentation in Japan.
2. Submissions are free of charge.
3. Entrants must be over 18 years old.
4. We accept artwork submissions from both Austrian artists and artists based in Austria.
5. In principle, your submission should be a proposal for a new piece of work to be produced in Japan in 2023. Existing pieces of work that will be significantly expanded or reworked may also be submitted. If you are submitting an existing piece of work, explain in your Project Proposal, how the work will be expanded or reworked.
6. The proposed project needs to have a clear connection to Japan, and can be in any artistic medium including, but not limited to, the following fields: art, design, architecture, film, photography, music, literature, performance, installations, hybrid media.
7. The winner will be awarded with a prize money of €7,000.-, sponsored by the Austrian Cultural Forum Tokyo. The prize money is a lump sum and includes all fees, material, production, travel and accommodation costs associated with the proposed project. The prize money will be paid out in two installments after the award ceremony in spring 2023.
8. Entries are possible via the online submissions form only. We are unable to accept email or postal applications.
9. Multiple submissions per entrant are allowed. Please submit a separate submission form for each project you are proposing.
10. Group submissions are possible if all group members fulfill the submission criteria listed here. In case of a group submission, list one representative of the group in the submissions form, and upload a separate PDF with names, portfolios and biographies of each group member in the ‘Additional Material’ section. In the case of several artists submitting together, the prize money must be divided within the group.
11. You must submit a portfolio of previous, relevant work in your submission. Please include a link to an online portfolio or website, or upload a portfolio of work in the ‘Additional Material’ section.
12. Each submission needs to be accompanied by sketches, mood boards, drafts or other visual material to help illustrate your idea and concept. Clearly distinguish between original (created by you) and reference/research material.
13. All texts entered as part of this submission need to be in English. If your proposal submission contains video/audio in a language other than English, please include English subtitles.
14. Please include your name and title of your proposed project at the beginning of all uploaded files.
15. Uploaded files need to be below 1MB each and in one of the following file formats: jpeg, png, gif, mov, mp4, mpeg, mp3. Please contact us if you wish to submit any other file formats or larger files.
16. Submissions are open until 22 January 2023 (23:59 CET). Entrants will be notified of the outcome by email in February 2023.
17. The selection committees’ decision is final. Please note we will be unable to provide feedback on individual submissions.
18. Previous winners of the Beate Sirota Gordon Award are ineligible to apply.